Tuesday, August 21, 2012

health journal #3

It feels oh so good when I eat healthy.  It means I can consume more food for fewer calories (yes please).  Plus, I feel much better when I give my body the proper fuel.  I'm not perfect, but I do love learning about nutrition and feeding my little family healthy meals.  I promised a few people I'd post one of my favorite quick and healthy recipes.  On those days when you don't feel like making a meal, whip this up instead of going through the drive thru or popping a frozen dinner in the microwave.

Recipe adapted from Zonya Foco's Lickety-Split meals for health conscious people on the go (whew!)

Almond Chicken Salad 
Makes four 1-cup servings
181 calories per serving



1 can (8 oz)  crushed pineapple, drained
3-5 green onions, chopped
2 cups (12 oz can) diced cooked chicken, rinsed and drained
1/4 cup miracle whip light
1/4 cup nonfat plain yogurt
1/4 cup slivered almonds

Mix together and enjoy!

I like to wrap it in a whole wheat tortilla or stuff it in a pita half along with some lettuce or spinach.  When I've had my share of carbs for the day, I eat it with celery or on top of a lettuce salad.

It's seriously so easy to throw together.  Grape halves make an excellent addition as well.  

1 comment:

  1. This is a good one. Also I had a dream about you last night. We were exercising, of course, cause that's what I'm good at. ;) Wish you were here to take me on walks every day like last time I was pregnant.

    ReplyDelete